April 3, 2019
This paid piece is sponsored by PODS Sioux Falls.
Whether you’re spring cleaning, cleaning up from spring flooding or getting ready for a move, you’re going to need to figure out a storage solution.
That’s where PODS Sioux Falls can help. With safe, secure and flexible storage options, your belongings will be ready whenever you need them.
PODS shared its expertise to help you pack and load like a pro.
- Make an inventory list of everything you’ll be storing in your container.
- Collect packing materials, towels and moving blankets to help protect your stuff from damage. You can buy or rent moving blankets from PODS Sioux Falls. You can also buy them online at PODSBoxes.com for delivery to your door. Ask your PODS customer care associate about moving blankets when you schedule your container for delivery.
- You can get packing supplies such as boxes and tape from PODSBoxes.com or your local hardware store.
- Make sure you don’t store any food, perishable items, toxins or flammables. For a list of prohibited items, review section IV, “Limits on Use,” of your PODS rental agreement.
- Consider PODS’ contents protection option and consult your homeowner’s insurance plan to ensure your items are covered from damage or loss.
Pro packing tips
- Fill empty spaces in boxes with packing paper or peanuts to keep items from shifting and to protect boxes from getting damaged when they’re stacked.
- Keep like items together.
- Label boxes on all sides.
- Clear, plastic containers are great for storage as they allow you to see the contents easily.
- Disassemble larger items such as tables, bed frames, etc., to maximize space.
- Bag and label all hardware.
- When stacking furniture, use moving blankets between pieces to prevent scratching. Use tape or shrink wrap over the blankets to hold them in place, but never apply tape directly to the furniture.
- To save yourself time and hassle down the road, take pictures of connections before disconnecting your electronic devices.
- It’s best to store electronics in their original boxes. If their original packaging isn’t available, pack items separately in bubble wrap, cushion foam or wadded-up newspaper.
- Label corresponding cords and components with color-coded stickers.
- Give appliances a good cleaning before storing.
- Leave doors slightly open to prevent mildew.
- Protect appliances with moving blankets. Use tape to hold them in place, but don’t apply tape directly to your appliances, as it may ruin the finish.
Pictures and mirrors
- Wrap small pictures and pack them vertically in boxes.
- For larger frames, use moving boxes specially designed for pictures.
- Always store mirrors and framed pieces vertically, not flat.
Crystal, china and glassware
- Use specialty boxes designed with dividers for these items.
- Wrap each piece with paper or foam.
- Label these boxes “FRAGILE.”
Clothing, curtains and drapes
- To save time, keep clothes on their hangers and bind them with zip ties into easy-to-manage groups. Pack them in garment bags or create your own with an upside-down garbage bag.
- Wardrobe boxes are also a convenient way to pack clothes and can offer additional protection.
- Hang clothes on non-rusting hangers.
- Save space by using dresser drawers to store smaller items.
- If you’re storing wool items, use cedar chips or mothballs to prevent moth damage.
Storing the container on your property
- Make sure to get any required permits if you need them.
- If you’re storing in a deed-restricted community, review your homeowner association guidelines for container placement.
- Remember to follow local ordinances when storing your container on the street.
- Check out PODS’ packing and loading instructions to help you maximize container space and minimize damage to your stuff while it’s in storage.
- If there’s stuff you’ll need easy access to while storing, pack those items last. Load items you won’t need first.
- Whenever possible, pack furniture vertically to conserve space.
- Pack lighter boxes on top of heavier ones.
- Create a diagram indicating how you packed your PODS container to make items easier to access and unload.
To download the storage checklist, click here.
And the best part is: PODS Sioux Falls is locally owned. You’ll be working with experts right here in Sioux Falls to handle all your moving and storage needs.
To learn more about how to put PODS to work for your moving and storage needs, call 605-274-8151 or click here to get a quote and book online.
Four ways PODS Moving & Storage can save you time and money this moving season